Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Beef & Ale Pie

After visiting London a few years ago I became hooked on the great steak & ale pies you can get in many of the pubs there. While they're not all created equal (you have to watch out for the pubs that just microwave their food) many of them are amazing. I've tried a few recipes since returning and found this one to be similar to the best pie I tasted over there.

I don't use the crust portion of this recipe. Instead I use a recipe from Jamie Oliver's Great Britain cookbook. Unfortunately I don't have that handy to include in the post at the moment. I can get it for anyone who's interested.

I don't modify the recipe otherwise though. For the beer Guinness Extra Stout provides the best flavor to the filling (after trying various other styles including ESB, brown ale and traditional lager).

I've also suggest making the filling the day before and refrigerating overnight as it helps develop a deeper flavor.

This has become one of my family's favorite dishes and the main course for Christmas with my wife's family.

https://i.redd.it/yx1ynak655u31.jpg



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment