Tuesday, September 20, 2016

West-Indian meal I made today

Today's my day off I had the house to myself, when I saw a mango in the fridge and decided to make chow. From there it went to making a full on Trini meal, now bear in mind I'm a 2nd generation Italian who only learned how to cooking West-Indian from living with my dad's cousin who's wife is Trinidadian when I was in college, before that it was only Italian food, and the occasional curry here or there. I attached a link to the pictures, tell me what you think please.

http://ift.tt/2d0KPUc

I don't measure when I cook so I'll guess how much and tell you how I did it.

These recipes are guidelines and can be modified depending on taste preference.

Also based on what I had in house

Mango Chow

1 green mango, a little under ripe, optional 1 scotch bonnet pepper, diced fine, 1/4 medium sized red onion, diced fine, 2 TBSP green seasoning (note), Juice of 1 lime/or half a lemon

Dice onions and hot pepper, put away for later

Peel mango (I didn't do that today, but do it, it tastes better) and cut into 1 inch strips

In a bowl place mango, onion, hot pepper, green seasoning, citrus juice and a pinch of salt and mix to combine. Eat immediately or let sit for 2 hours for flavours to develop.

GREEN SEASONING It's like pesto but instead you use bandanya (cilantro's cousin, I can find it here. I bought a bunch in Toronto and made the seasoning and freeze into ice cubes, cilantro will do fine), green onions, garlic, parsley, hot pepper, salt, and make a paste using a food processor, your desired thickness.

Stew Chicken

1 whole chicken, cut into equal bite size pieces, 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/2 chopped white onion, 4 chopped green onions, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 TBSP green seasoning, 2 tsp worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup raw sugar (the coarse brown stuff, regular brown sugar or even white will do)

Mix everything but the sugar together and let sit for 30 minutes or more to marinate

Plane sugar in pot and turn on to high heat, the sugar will start to melt and turn dark. Do not leave unattended. As soon as the melted sugar starts to form bubbles and smoke throw in marinated chicken.

Keep bowl that chicken was in and put a cup of cold water into it, mix the remaining marinate into the water and set aside.

Turn to med-high heat and cook until chicken releases its juices and those juices cook off

Add water in bowl to pot and add more water if necessary. You want the water to be barely covering the chicken.

Cover pot with a crack open and simmer until chicken is cooked, juices should be boiling lightly.

Turn heat to high and cook off juice until you have reached a desired thickness on the 'gravy'.

Serve over rice or eat with roti

Macaroni Pie

1/2 pkg long pasta (spaghetti, fettuccine etc.), 3 eggs, 1 cup milk 1 cup grated cheese and 1/4 cup grated cheese, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, *dried herbs of your preference, I only used 1 tsp oregano

Boil pasta Mix remaining ingredients (reserve 1/4 cup cheese) in bowl and set aside Strain pasta and toss into egg/milk/cheese mixture Place into greased cooking dish (I used a glass 9x9 inch glass cooking dish) Bake at 350 until liquid is set, top with additional cheese and broil until brown.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment