Monday, March 21, 2016

Coffee sauce

My family loves this. I adapted this recipe from something I got at Costco, some years ago. It goes with basically anything. Coffeecake, cookies, ice cream, brownies, etc. Basically anything sweet. Pancakes and cinnamon bread are my favorite.

Prep time- 5 minutes

Cook time~1 hour

Yield- 8 oz

Ingredients

12 oz strong coffee. Preferably espresso, I use Starbucks espresso roast in a keurig. And brew 2 small cups to get my 12oz, plus extra. I know that's not espresso, but I don't have a machine for that.

2 Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans

6 oz turbinado sugar. White, granulated sugar also works, with little noticeable difference, other than slightly less sweet

4 oz heavy cream

Place sugar in large saucepan. Add coffee and s whisk until dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat

While coffee is boiling, cut open vanilla beans, and scrape seeds out. Add to saucepan. I don't like to use the pods, because this is a thick, very sticky mess when done. Save them for other uses (vanilla sugar).

Stir frequently, issuing a rubber spatula to scrape the sides/bottom of the pot. It WILL form a thick coating if you do not.

Continue cooking until reduced to 4 oz. This will likely take close to an hour. When it gets to ~7 oz it will start to be very prone to boiling over. You must watch it carefully, and will likely have to remove from the heat several times to settle the foaming. This is why we use a large saucepan for such a small amount of liquid. Trust me, it happens very quickly.

When it reaches 4 oz, remove from heat, allow to cool slightly.

Place 4 oz cream into mixing bowl. VERY SLOWLY, add coffee into the cream, rapidly whisking as you pour. Take your time here, as aging the hot liquid to the cream to rapidly can cause it to circle, or "break". Usually though, this will just result in a poor consistency, rather than completely ruining it. Transfer to a storage container, and cool before serving.

Edit- this may be somewhat inappropriate, but I want to add that it makes for good foreplay as well



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment