Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Help with gluten free apple crisp/substituting chickpea (aka garbanzo bean) flour in regular recipe?

So I'm bringing an apple crisp tomorrow for Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's and just remembered my sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with celiacs. It's mild celiacs so she doesn't have to worry about cross contamination from the oats being made in the same facility as wheat, for example. But she can't eat regular flour.

All I have on hand for GF flour is chickpea flour and I live in a small rural area so I won't be able to get anywhere to get anything else. Can I just sub that out for the regular flour in my normal apple crisp recipe and bake like normal? Will it turn out okay? Here is my normal apple crisp recipe:

Ingredients

  • 4 to 5 cups apples peeled and sliced
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar (Mom says use 1 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup oats (at least)
  • 8 tbsps butter (cut into pieces)

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Butter or spray pie dish
  • Spread apples in baking dish and sprinkle with lemon or lime juice (optional)
  • Add 1/4 cup of water over the top of the apples.
  • In a bowl, add flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. With your fingers rub in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Add the oatmeal into the topping mixture.
  • Spread the mixture over top of the apples.
  • Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is browned.
  • Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Thanks!



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment