Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Winter root vegetable casserole

This is for u/molotschna....

I used to make this dish all the time but I haven't in a while. I'm going to be making this soon, so I had to jog my memory as to what the recipe was. I couldn't find anything quite like it online, so I'm posting it here both to share and to ask for suggested improvements if anyone would like to weigh in. I think this is exactly how I used to make it ... and, man, was it ever delicious!

Winter root vegetable casserole

4-6 cups of root vegetables cut into half-inch cubes e.g.: - sweet potatoes - potatoes - rutabaga - squash - carrots - turnips - parsnips 2 cups grated cheese e.g.: - gruyere - mozarella / parmesean mixture - cheddar 2 cups bread cut or torn into half-inch chunks (light rye is a good choice) 1 tsp caraway seeds 1 tsp olive oil 1 tbsp butter 
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Preheat oven to 375.

  2. Sautee root vegetables in the skillet starting with the hardest ones (e.g. sweet potato, rutabaga), saving the softer ones (e.g. carrots) for last. Mix in the caraway seeds while the veggies are cooking and sautee on medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes.

  3. Melt butter and combine butter with bread chunks in a mixing bowl.

  4. Spread the root veggies on the bottom of your large, shallow casserole dish.

  5. Combine the grated cheese with the buttered bread chunks and add a bit more caraway seeds if you're as big a fan as I am. Spread the bread-cheese mixture on top of the veggies.

  6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

  7. Optionally put a bit more cheese on top and broil for 5 minutes at the end for an extra-crispy-cheesy layer on top.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment