Friday, March 18, 2016

Wanted: Meatless recipes for elementary schooler

Hello /r/recipes!

I have a bit of a strange request. The school I work at is home to many children who are from various cultures where meat isn't consumed. As a result, many of these students either bring lunch from home, or take an alternate meal.

The reason I'm writing is that there's a 5th grader who doesn't eat meat of any kind. Arguably, she's my No. 1 favorite student, although officially I can't play favorites. We recently spoke with her and discovered she likes salads and yogurt parfaits (that we just recently rolled out). My question is this: What are some other meals that can be prepared quickly and on the cheap (since it is a public school, so funding is tricky) for a student who can't eat meat of any kind? She says that she is willing to come up and get a salad or parfait every day, but I don't want her getting burned out. Not that it matters, but she is from the Southeast-Asia area, so if there's a few dishes that are from around there that don't have meat and can be prepared cheaply, then I'm all ears. I think it would be kind of cool to surprise her with some dishes that are similar to what she eats at home and had when she lived there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment