Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Date Nut Torte? It is a thing? Was Grandma nuts?

Okay so I am going to get the recipe from mom, but my grandma made what was called a "date nut torte". We had this every christmas and I've never seen anyone else have it, or anything like it, anywhere. It's really not a torte, but that's what she, and we, always called it.

It has for some reason it's been on my mind enough to keep looking on pinterest etc trying to figure out the origin of this recipe, or even another similar like thing, so I thought I'd ask here see if anyone maybe has heard of anything like it?

So it's a casserole style, but you could do it in a pie tin I suppose, but it has a graham cracker crust, and it's topped with a custard (as I recall) then crushed walnuts and diced dates are added on top of that, and then a topped with meringue and baked. Always served cold.

Mom has the recipe so I'm going to ask for it, but it has no history, which is why I wanted to see if anyone had something like it or had ever seen it in a old cook book? Her family was German, Amish and English we think from the eastern OH, western PA area in the early 1900's, and then further into PA into amish areas before that.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment