Saturday, August 27, 2016

Teaching my husband how to cook... what are some good beginner recipes that we can use to build a foundation and basic skills?

I like cooking and baking, and even participate in /r/52weeksofcooking with varying levels of success depending on the week. My husband, however, knows practically nothing. When he lived alone he subsisted on handfuls of pretzels, frozen pizzas, and ramen noodles. Since moving in together 4ish years ago I've cooked 100% of our meals (which doesn't bother me since he's the clean up crew). But now I'm starting grad school and we're hoping to teach him a few simple dishes he can prepare for us on the nights I have class. Our little cooking lessons will also be a nice way to spend time together, eat healthier, and save money instead of going out to restaurants/ordering in on weekends.

I'm struggling though to come up with simple enough relatively healthy recipes that we can do that will sort of create a foundation and build on skills over time. I was thinking the first week we'd just do pasta with jarred sauce, talk about boiling water, how to tell if the pasta is done, etc. But what comes after that? What foods would you teach someone who is starting at basically zero to build their confidence in the kitchen over time?



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment