Saturday, April 29, 2017

Dirty Rice with Lamb heart & kidneys

When I cook, I tend to eyeball my portions. Consider all spices "to taste". I didn't have all the ingredients I wanted, but this is how I actually made it. (See the end of the post for my planned changes next time I make it.)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup rice and 1 cup water
  • 1 lamb heart, trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
  • 2 lamb kidneys, with membrane and fat removed, cut into small pieces
  • 1 orange pepper, chopped
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • Generous pinches: salt, black pepper, oregano, thyme, garlic flakes
  • Smaller pinch: cayenne pepper.
  • 1 tsp oil for frying; about
  • 1 TB butter or margarine
  • Louisiana hot sauce to serve

Directions

  1. Cook rice and set aside.
  2. Over medium high heat, fry the orange pepper in oil for a few minutes until it's softened.
  3. Add tomatoes and spices, fry for another couple of minutes.
  4. Lower temp to medium, add butter/margarine.
  5. Add organ meats. Brown the pieces through.
  6. Stir in the rice. Cook for another minute or so to combine the rice with the spices and juices.
  7. Serve with Louisiana hot sauce.

Changes I'd make next time: add some onion, remove tomato, and maybe use green pepper instead of orange pepper.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment