Thursday, June 2, 2016

http://ift.tt/1VyRsOE - a complete list of BBC recipes

Some of you may remember hearing a few weeks back that BBC was shutting down its recipe website for good. The website was going to be taken offline because it was costing too much money to run and it was competing directly with the commercial providers who were getting a bit antsy with the competition. BBC food has always been my go-to site for recipes.

So, as a developer, I quickly built a crawler, scraped the recipes and put them in a database. Phew! Now they tell us that the site is not being taken down but that didn't stop me spending a few days making a new site so I could access the recipes. This was just meant to be a project for me, but I got a bit carried away....

One thing I noticed while developing the site was that recipe websites in general suck. They are full of graphics, cluttered, poor search and difficult to navigate. All I wanted is something simple like Imgur, fast and good search.

So, until I take it down, I present to you Nonnas Cooking - TaDa! - http://ift.tt/1VyRsOE The images still need to be shrunk to make it faster but it is already faster and easier to use than most recipe website.

Enjoy - any feedback would be welcome!

/** QUICK EDIT **/ The site also includes recipes from SBS Australia - adds a lot of really good Asian recipes



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment