Thursday, September 24, 2015

I just processed my first chicken last night. Going to eat it today, but I need recipe ideas!

So, a bird of prey of undetermined kind swooped down and killed one of my chickens. She's a 2-year-old Brahma. My wife scared the attacker away, then took the killed chicken and beheaded it to make sure she was dead and not just knocked out and suffering. This happened yesterday afternoon. When I got home, I quickly learned how to process a chicken, and did an okay job at it. So now we have two chicken legs, the wings, and the breasts. I'd mucked up the eviscerating bit so I got bird poop in and around the carcass, so I nixed the idea of keeping the yummy inside bits for stock or whatever, and also the tasty meat on the back and so on.

So, given that this is not a super-young chicken that was fed explosively and then butchered, but rather a free-ranging chicken that ate kitchen scraps and flapped around the garden all day, it'll have a lot more chicken flavor than I'm used to. How can I best use this flavor to create a delicious meal tonight? I want to make it a little special, since this is the first of our own chickens we're eating, but I'd like a quick recipe, since my wife is sick and we have a crazy toddler and stuff.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment