Monday, September 28, 2015

Trying to throw together an achiote-citrus marinade alternative for tacos al pastor with these ingredients, thoughts?

I'm following this recipe to make some delicious pineapple-pork tacos, and it calls for the pork to be marinated in

  • juice of 2 oranges

  • 300g ground axiote (in powder forum)

  • 10 dry chiles guajillos

  • 1 medium size onion

  • 3 cloves of garlic

  • 1 tbsp white pepper

  • 1 cup white vinegar

  • 1 stick of cinnamon

but I don't have the first 3 ingredients. I have Naranja Agria (Bitter Orange marinade) and rocoto chile paste that I was planning on substituting for the orange juice and guajillo chiles. I'm not necessarily going for authenticity, so I'm not really worried about the lack of achiote. Would the grapefruit extract in the bitter orange taste bad for this recipe? I have made a similar version of this before with ancho chiles and lime juice instead of orange juice which turned out pretty tasty, so that's always an option too. Any tips or advice would be welcomed!



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment