Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mama's Babi Kecap - Indonesian Braised Pork Belly in a Sweet Soy Sauce recipe

Thought i'd share a favorite of mine - Babi Kecap is the ultimate comfort food for me. My mum always made this dish for us at least once a week. I remember like it was yesterday, I watched her cook and asked how much kecap etc she put in the dish, and her response was always “secukupnya aja, kira- kira aja kamu rasain kalo udah enak ya sudah jadi” (Just use your feeling, just enough to make it tasty). Even last week, I asked the same thing, she still got the same response. Thanks mum! I tried to make this dish so many times, sometime I failed real bad, but it is true when people says practice makes perfect. So here is my take on my mum special babi kecap.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 kg pork rasher (pork belly)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 4 boiled egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
  • 10 garlic cloves – minced
  • 1 cm ginger – bruised but still hold it shape
  • 5 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) – I use the ABC Kecap Manis brand
  • 3 tablespoon of oyster sauce – I use my favorite brand see below (Lee Kum Kee) this can be found in any store I believe.

STEPS:

  • Heat up the wok to medium heat and add the pork. Do not use any oil as the pork contains lots of fat already and by stirring the pork in the wok it will release the oil. Cook for about 5 minutes until brown.
  • Add the garlic into the pan, continue stir until the garlic is fragrant then add the ginger.
  • Add all the sauces and seasoning to taste, adjusting if required.
  • Turn the heat to low, pour in the water and add the boiled egg.
  • Cook for about 50-60 minutes or until the meat is tender. It is important to stir once every 5 minutes, so that the sauce does not burn at the bottom of the wok.

ENJOY! Thanks mama!

SOURCE: My blog - http://ift.tt/1Ub16EE



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment