Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Fried Falafel with Homemade Hummus

I tried my hand at making hummus yesterday, and today I used some of the leftover chick peas I had to make falafel.

I'd like to thank /u/Cdresden for all his helpful comments to my post from yesterday about hummus. He had some good tips. I used a lot of the hummus from yesterday in this dish. It really helped take it to the next level.

I very loosely followed this recipe with some alterations:

2 cups Chick Peas, soaked but not boiled or cooked

1 medium Red Onion, minced or diced

1/2 bulb of Garlic

almost a tablespoon of Cayenne

1 tablespoon Cumin Seeds

1/2 tablespoon Sea Salt

1/4 tablespoon Black Pepper

2 pods Cardamom

1 tablespoon Coriander Seeds

Steps:

1) Grind all the spices in a blender, then add Garlic, then Onion, then Chick Peas

2) Shape them into balls (I had to add a heaping spoon of white flour to help the mixture stick together. It was falling apart.)

3) Fry them (I had the temp too high, so the first batch fried in practically a minute. The second batch took about 2 minutes per side.)

4) Eat them with condiments

My condiments were:

Pita Bread

1 Cucumber, cut into triangles

1 Small Tomato, cut into triangles

1 Some Feta Cheese, get the kind soaked in Olive Oil--it adds some nice richness.

1 or 2 tablespoons of Tahini

The Tahini added a nice bitterness, the feta some good richness. All together with the hummus I made yesterday, this dish was pretty fantastic. Considerably better than the Hummus with Meat from yesterday. 9/10, would recommend.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment