Friday, July 22, 2016

Recipe Review: Chocolate Peppermint Squares

Hello all, I thought I'd give a recipe review of a recipe found here on /r/gifrecipes

I tried this recipe, and what a total fucking disaster it turned out to be.

I'm in the UK, so I altered the recipe slightly by using digestives which is a common alternative, I used just over 170 grams worth of these.

By my own admission, I didn't beat the biscuits enough but my god, the recipe turned into a fucking mess after that.

6 table spoons of melted butter threw me off first of all, because I've never measured an ingredient beyond a point of cooking, but I used quite a bit to get that much.

I put it in the freezer and it stayed there while I tried to figure out the next task; extracting coconut oil. The gif makes me think I can just get a spoon and scoop it right out like some icecream. Lord No. I got some coconut oil shavings from my rather powerful (for me) attempts of scooping it out of the jar I bought.

I did some googling and an oddly specific website (http://ift.tt/2a6sTrc) showed me that it needs to melt.

I put it in a bath of hot water and it then got beyond the point of soft serve so I just poured it into my bowl with the remainder of my ingredients.

I dutifully whipped the ingredients as the gif instructs, and stopped where I felt right (I spent a year training to be a chef so I have a microgram of knowledge) but the gif carried on until it looked overwhipped - but hey ho, I overwhipped it as per recipe. As I stopped, I saw the mixture resembled the same but slid about the bowl under it's own grease. Nice.

Never the less, I ploughed on, and took my biscuit mixture out of the freezer. It was nearly frozen solid. I sarted spreading my mixture on, thinking "hey, this will look pretty good", however the mixture started taking on a superglue like consistency and then started moving the biscuit around underneath it. This is where I gave up, with the end result being this

I dunked a finger in the mixture to at least give it a go, and praise the lord I stopped there, because the amount of oil caking my mouth at the moment is making me feel sick. Knowing me I would've devoured a whole square 9 inches of this before pausing, and then promptly thrown it back up.

TLDR: Don't make this.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment