Sunday, January 31, 2016

Request: Something vegetarian tex-mex/mexican to go in tortillas? (ingredients inside)

I'm in the UK and most people buy tortilla seasoning packs and mix it with chicken or ground beef but I want to make something from scratch. Tex mex and actual mexican food aren't as popular here so looking for some good recipes.

Here's what I have in my kitchen that I think could be used, I'll mostly list my condiments and spices/herbs first:

  • Sliced jalapenos in a jar (red jar and green jar)
  • Dried whole birds eye chilis (think you call these thai chilis in the States - they pack a bit of a punch!)
  • Soy sauce & Marmite & Worcestershire Sauce (I sometimes use these to add a bit of a salty/meaty taste to things)
  • Ground Cumin
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Mustard Seeds
  • Thyme
  • Oregano
  • Sage
  • Dried Cayenne Pepper (powder form)
  • Habanero Chili Flakes
  • Chipotle Chili Grinder
  • Chipotle Paste
  • Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce (Uses mostly habanaro peppers and some scotch bonnet)
  • Cholula Hot Sauce (got both original and the garlic chili version)
  • Franks Hot Sauce (not a huge fan, tastes too salty for my tastes)
  • A couple of generic Heinz hot sauces (not very hot though), one is habanaro, the other is chipotle and the other is jalapeno
  • Chicken stock cubes
  • A jar of minced garlic
  • Clear honey
  • Black Pepper & Salt
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Bell peppers (red and green)
  • Large white onions
  • Spring onions
  • Tinned (canned) chopped tomatos
  • Fresh cherry tomatoes
  • Sundried tomatoes in olive oil
  • Red kidney beans
  • Baked beans (in the UK these are navy beans in a sugary tomato sauce, I could always run the sauce off with water before using them so they're more adaptable)
  • Sweetcorn (frozen)
  • Cornflour
  • and I also have rice and some squeezy guacamole and salsa (normal and a tropical one with mango, pineapple and papaya - both by old el paso)
  • Also I have apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar and british table vinegar which is brown malt vinegar i think - no limes or lemons for acid unfortunately

I'm comfortable with heat having grown up eating Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi food so if any Mexicans want to take that as a challenge and recommend something with a bit of a kick that's good by me! I also have the whole day ahead of me so time is not an issue.

Don't know if it's worth mentioning but I have a frying pan, a griddle pan, some normal pots and pans, a crock pot (slow cooker) and a food processor.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment