Sunday, January 31, 2016

[request] something very american that's not super hard to cook

I'm living in Japan and I have a Spanish (Catalonian) classmate who is a chef and has cooked for me several times, really amazing food. I am a horrible cook, but I think he wants me to cook for him now.

I'm looking for something American. Most of my go-to recipes are bastardizations of British, Italian, German etc recipes that are probably not nearly as good as the real deal in Europe, so I want to make something that he doesn't already have a preconceived notion of what "good" should taste like. At first I was thinking Mexican, maybe chicken enchiladas, but then I remembered duh he's Spanish. Do they eat things like enchiladas in Spain?

I have access to a Walmart-like store on the military base so I think I can get most American ingredients. I'm not a great cook like I mentioned so maybe something like a casserole would be safe. I want it to taste really good, though, so I don't mind something more difficult and I could practice it beforehand.

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm having a tricky time coming up with anything.



bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment