Wednesday, February 17, 2016

My uncomplicated chicken soup recipe

Hi /r/recipes . This is my first post here. I like cooking and experimenting.

One of the things I like is chicken soup, and there are lots of recipes floating around. What I do not like about many of them is that you have to do multiple steps. Like boil the bones, filter them, do this do that, strain this that blah blah.

As a cook I always look for stuff where I just put in the ingredients, cook them for time 'X' and then eat. You can call me a "lazy cook". But then laziness breeds innovation I guess.

So here it comes. To make it more uncomplicated, I am also giving "ratios" of ingredients. For this post I will use 250gms of chicken boneless with ratios. This makes approx 2.5L of soup. You can just alter the ratio and be done with it.

Uncomplicated Chicken spring onion soup

Ingredients:

  • 250gms chicken boneless (Breast or leg your choice)
  • 250gms spring onion
  • 5 tablespoons coriander powder
  • 5 teaspoons salt
  • 5 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
  • 5 tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 5 tablespoons vinegar(White)
  • 5 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 50 gms fresh coriander leaves
  • 2.5L of water
  • 0.5l of water spare

So ratios are :

  • Chicken "X gms"
  • Spring onion = Chicken
  • Coriander powder "1 tablespoon/50gms chicken
  • Salt "1 teaspoon /50gms chicken"
  • Fine ground black pepper = SALT
  • Soy sauce "1 tablespoon/50gms"
  • Vinegar = Soy sauce
  • Lemon juice = Soy sauce
  • Coriander leaves = Chicken/5
  • Water = Chicken * 10
  • Spare water = chicken * 2

1L water ~ 1kg or 1000gms, so that makes things simple

Process:

  • Cut chicken into tiny pieces. Chop chop chop. Tip - Frozen chicken is easier to cut
  • Cut Spring onion
  • Put everything except coriander leaves into a pot
  • Bring to boil
  • Simmer for 30 minutes - Cover it, but make sure your pot is much bigger otherwise it will overflow. If your pot is not significantly bigger, just open simmer
  • After 30 minutes at coriander leaves and simmer for 10 minutes
  • Add boiling spare water if soup too thick
  • Eat

So that is it, the lazy cooks chicken soup.

Advanced stuff:

The beauty of this is that you can add the "spices" anytime later and boil for two minutes

  • If you like it Sour in a chinese : Increase Soy sauce by 50%
  • If you like it tangy like lemony : Increase Lemon juice by 50%
  • If you like a certain flavor, eg schezwan, add 1 teaspoon/50gms chicken


bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment